Personalized Functional Medicine
What is Functional Medicine?
Functional Medicine is an approach to health care that focuses on finding and treating the root causes of disease to prevent illness.
Functional Medicine providers look at each patient individually to assess how their unique history, genetics, environment and lifestyle influence their long-term health.
On the other hand, traditional medicine focuses on treating specific problems individually. You have a cough? Here’s some cough medicine. You broke a bone? Here’s cast. You have high blood pressure? Here’s a pill.
Functional Medicine providers think much deeper than this and try to answer questions like: “Why did you get a cough?” “Is there an underlying problem that led to this broken bone?” and “Why is your blood pressure high?” Then the functional medicine provider can treat the underlying issue to resolve and prevent illness and disease.
At Be Well Family Care our providers will listen to you and consider all the things that make you who you are to create customized treatment and health plans–truly personalized medicine. We don’t believe in “OK” or average; we want to optimize every patient’s health.
Our Functional Approach
Functional Medicine is an approach to health care that focuses on finding and treating the root causes of disease to prevent illness by answering these questions:
- How do you assimilate the outside world — the food you eat, the stress you feel, the toxins all around us, even the air you breathe?
- Then how do you biotransform these into information for the body?
- Are your cells, lymph, and circulation able to transport nutrients and toxins throughout the body?
- Is your body structurally able to tolerate these stressors?
- Is the body eliminating what you don’t need?
- And finally, how do we fix any imbalances or dysfunctions in these processes?
Swathi sums this very complicated process into a simple pharase — eat well, sleep well, move well, poop well!